About the Role
Hundreds of millions of people globally are negatively impacted by neurodegenerative diseases. Among these, disorders such as Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s and Huntington’s diseases limit independence, often shortening the lives of patients and place enormous burdens on family and society. Novartis is exploring new frontiers to treat neurodegenerative disorders.
In the role of Executive Director you will provide medical and scientific leadership and expertise in a role that significantly impacts the entire Novartis Neurodegenerative drug development pipeline.
In this key position you will:
• Drive success of early global programs, develop and implement strategies to achieve clinical Proof of Concept
• Drive success of late global programs when appropriate by developing and implementing strategies that lead to clinical pharmacology, design of mechanistic studies and profiling packages that meet regulatory requirements and support differentiated and competitive drug labeling
• Provide scientific expert assessments and support for in-licensing opportunities, including due diligences
In collaboration with your Translational Medicine (TM) Therapeutic Area Head or other TM Experts, your responsibilities will include:
• Develop high value decision-strategies for the TM component of drug development projects from Research to clinical Proof of Concept or Proof of Mechanism in single or multiple indications, including Parallel Indication Expansion-Proof of Concepts
- Represent TM and lead global project teams through First in Human and Proof of Concept phase to drive implementation of the Proof of Concept strategy
- Convene relevant internal and external leaders together to consider the proposed approach to Proof of Concept
- In collaboration with research scientists, contribute to the proposal of new targets or indications for existing compounds; identify, develop, and implement strategy for preclinical support of clinical program-related scientific objectives. This includes assessment of medical need, proposal of clinical development pathways, and review of preclinical data for clinical implications, and other relevant activities
- Responsible for implementing studies during the Proof of Concept phase by providing medical and scientific leadership and expertise to all line functions on the project team. This may include methodology studies to identify and validate novel endpoints for early decision making in Proof of Concept studies.
- Responsible for clinical portions of the Integrated Development Plan, including the Clinical Development Plan and Clinical Pharmacology Plan
• Accountable for compound and disease related biomarker strategies, working closely with Biomarker Experts in implementation
• Develop and implement study protocols for different types of clinical studies (First in Human, Proof of Concept, mechanistic and safety studies), and other documents such as investigators brochures.
• Responsible for clinical monitoring and integrated safety data review during and after the live phase of a study
• Provide medical and scientific leadership and expertise to all line functions on the study team
• Represent clinical TM aspects to Health Authorities and other stakeholders (e.g. payers, patient advocacy groups)
• Represent clinical TM in reviews of external opportunities
• Oversee publication and external presentation of study results
• Innovation: Champion and drive new clinical compound characterization opportunities and profiling approaches
• Contribute to initiatives that drive innovation, quality, and efficiency across TM
In this role you may have people management responsibility with 1-3 direct reports and matrix people responsibility per project: 5-8 cross-functional members from within TM plus other functions per project team.
Novartis Compensation and Benefit Summary: The pay range for this position at commencement of employment is expected to be between $284,000 - $426,000/year; however, while salary ranges are effective from 1/1/24 through 12/31/24, fluctuations in the job market may necessitate adjustments to pay ranges during this period. Further, final pay determinations will depend on various factors, including, but not limited to geographical location, experience level, knowledge, skills, and abilities. The total compensation package for this position may also include other elements, including a sign-on bonus, restricted stock units, and discretionary awards in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits (including 401(k) eligibility and various paid time off benefits, such as vacation, sick time, and parental leave), dependent on the position offered. Details of participation in these benefit plans will be provided if an employee receives an offer of employment. If hired, employee will be in an “at-will position” and the Company reserves the right to modify base salary (as well as any other discretionary payment or compensation program) at any time, including for reasons related to individual performance, Company or individual department/team performance, and market factors.
Diversity & Inclusion / EEO
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: Individuals in need of a reasonable accommodation due to a medical condition or disability for any part of the application process, or to perform the essential functions of a position, please let us know the nature of your request, your contact information and the job requisition number in your message:
• Medical Degree and additional PhD/post-doctoral equivalent research experience
• Specialized further training in neurodegenerative or movement disorders required
• 15 plus years combined professional academic or industrial experience
• Advanced / business-level / fluent English (oral and written)
• Recognized for medical expertise: demonstrated excellence and clinical / patient expertise in neurodegenerative diseases
• Recognized for scientific expertise: respected by colleagues internally and externally, you’ve made significant contributions to your field and created / established new concepts; record of high quality publications in international scientific journals.
• Previous relevant & significant clinical study experience: either from pharma/biotech leading early phase clinical trials; a senior role within a CRO responsible for leading the medical relationship with Sponsors; from a relevant academic medical center with PI & co-PI clinical trial experience. You are used to working independently and within teams including scientists and non-scientists on study planning and execution, demonstrating competence in a broad range of project and more strategic planning skills
• Excellent written and oral communication/presentation skills, used to distilling and effectively conveying significant messages to different audiences
Why Novartis: Our purpose is to reimagine medicine to improve and extend people’s lives and our vision is to become the most valued and trusted medicines company in the world. How can we achieve this? With our people. It is our associates that drive us each day to reach our ambitions. Be a part of this mission and join us! Learn more here: https://www.novartis.com/about/strategy/people-and-culture
You can find everything you need to know about our benefits and rewards in the Novartis Life Handbook.
Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion: Novartis is committed to building an outstanding, inclusive work environment and diverse teams’ representative of the patients and communities we serve.
Accessibility and Reasonable Accommodations: The Novartis Group of Companies are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If, because of a medical condition or disability, you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, or in order to perform the essential functions of a position, please send an e-mail to [email protected] call +1(877)395-2339 and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Please include the job requisition number in your message.
.Join our Novartis Network: If this role is not suitable to your experience or career goals but you wish to stay connected to learn more about Novartis and our career opportunities, join the Novartis Network here: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network.
Why Novartis: Helping people with disease and their families takes more than innovative science. It takes a community of smart, passionate people like you. Collaborating, supporting and inspiring each other. Combining to achieve breakthroughs that change patients’ lives. Ready to create a brighter future together? https://www.novartis.com/about/strategy/people-and-culture
Join our Novartis Network: Not the right Novartis role for you? Sign up to our talent community to stay connected and learn about suitable career opportunities as soon as they come up: https://talentnetwork.novartis.com/network